With the Met Office forecasting some very cold weather this week and issuing a ‘Yellow Warning’ for ice and snow in the south west, the police have issued advice to motorists only to travel if absolutely necessary, should the conditions deteriorate.
The Met Office have warned us to expect rain which will turn to snow turning into icy conditions.
If the weather deteriorates please consider where appropriate the following advice:
- Only travel if absolutely necessary, and allow extra time for your journey
- Thoroughly defrost your vehicle before setting off, this includes clearing snow from your car roof
- Ensure you have plenty of fuel and check your engines oil and water levels
- Check your wipers and screen wash levels. Make sure your auto wiper control is switched off before turning the ignition on as this could blow the wiper control fuse if they are frozen to your windscreen
- Check the tread, pressure and condition of your tyres
- Ensure you have a fully charged mobile phone on you and ensure someone knows where you are going and when you are expected to arrive.
- Ensure you have suitable winter clothing, warm blankets, a torch and food and water in your car just in case you become stranded.
- Consider checking in on elderly or vulnerable neighbours, make sure they are okay and know they can come to you if they need help.