It is that time once again to make your voices heard and vote in the local elections.
But what time can you start voting from and what do you need to take with you to the polling station?
Polling stations will be open today from 7am to 10pm.
They are usually located in public buildings like community centres and schools in each area. These times are the same at all polling stations throughout the town. If you want to know where your local polling station is visit Where Do I Vote.
All you need at the polling station is to give your name and address, which will allow you to get your all-important vote in for the candidate of your choice in your council ward.
The polling card will tell each voter which polling station to use to cast their vote, it may help to take this card with you but it is not necessary as you can vote as long as your name is on the register of electors.
Anyone who has not received a polling card can call the Swindon Borough Council Electoral help line 01793 464601.
Voting procedure at the polling station
- Once inside the polling station go to the clerks’ table and give your name and address on the electoral register.
- If you have any physical disabilities, look out for the special direction signs to gain easy access to the polling station.
- The presiding officer will give you your ballot paper which will show the official mark.
- Take the ballot paper to one of the polling booths to cast your vote in secret.
- Vote for no more than the amount of candidates shown at the top of the ballot paper, mark a cross (X) on the right hand side of the name of the persons you are voting for.
- If you spoil your ballot paper you can show it to the presiding officer and ask for another one.
- Once you have cast your vote, fold the paper in half and take it to the ballot box by the clerks’ table. Show the presiding officer the official mark before putting your vote in the box.
- The presiding officer and poll clerk will be able to help you if you are not sure what to do.
The counts will begin at the Oasis Leisure Centre from 10pm and will continue through the night until all of the results are in.
Follow The Swindonian on FacebookBurton Live will bring you the results as they come in.