Dog owners are being urged to take care this autumn as conkers in parks and along country paths pose a serious risk to dogs.

English Cocker Spaniel Puppy Sitting On Ground Beside Grass

Charity Blue Cross says conkers are highly poisonous to dogs if chewed and eaten and they can also cause blockages in your pet’s stomach.

Why are conkers dangerous to dogs?

If swallowed the conker could cause a blockage in your pet’s stomach. Conkers and the leaves from the horse chestnut tree also contain a chemical called aesculin which is toxic to dogs.

What are the symptoms of conker poisoning?

Although cases of death in dogs swallowing conkers is rare it is still very serious.

Signs of illness usually arise after a couple of days but dogs can show signs of being poisoned within one to six hours of consuming the conkers.

If you are worried your dog has consumed a conker contact your vet straight away for advice.

What treatment is my dog likely to receive if he or she has eaten a conker?

Poisoned dogs need to be rehydrated and medicated, and any chewed up conkers still in their tummy need to be removed.

In rare cases, surgery may be required to remove blockages.

How do I stop my dog from eating a conker?

Don’t encourage them to catch or play with them and if they show signs of becoming unwell after you have been out and about then contact your vet as soon as possible.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here