A restaurant owner has been fined £12,000 and banned from running a food business for 12 months after pleading guilty to numerous food hygiene offences.

Mahmod Ali, who runs The Curry Place Tandoori in Rodbourne Road, faced magistrates in Chippenham yesterday (4th July) after Swindon Borough Council’s Environmental Health officers found what District Judge Simon Cooper described as a “horror story” in the kitchen.

A high risk of cross contamination due to the lack of separation between raw and ready-to-eat food, the absence of temperature control as well as filthy surfaces led Judge Cooper to declare that the restaurant and takeaway fell well short of food hygiene standards.

Ali pleaded guilty to all 17 offences and, as well as receiving a fine of £12,000, Swindon Borough Council was awarded costs of £7,878 plus a victim surcharge of £170.

In addition, Judge Cooper agreed to a Prohibition Order preventing Ali from operating a food business, or managing employees in a food business, for 12 months.

Welcoming the verdict, Cllr Cathy Martyn, Swindon Borough Council’s Cabinet Member for Public Safety, said: “It is extremely important that people in Swindon are confident that the town’s takeaways and restaurants produce food in a safe and hygienic way.

“We work closely with food businesses to help them comply with hygiene requirements, but in some cases matters are so serious we have to take formal action.

“The vast majority of food businesses we inspect are doing a good job. However, Mr Ali continued with poor practices and the small improvements that were made fell well short of industry standards.

“The outcome of this case, and significant fine imposed, highlights how seriously we take issues of food hygiene and making sure our residents are protected from bad practices.”

The Curry Place Tandoori has now been closed.

4 COMMENTS

  1. Things like this are just common sense and the proprietor surely passed a health and safety course? this could have led to food poisoning or worse. I wonder if these ‘practices’ are within their own homes? I very much doubt it, but looking at some of the pictures, it hasn’t been cleaned for a very long time.
    It’s about time places like this were fined severely fined and closed down. I wonder if the owner will ‘disappear’ rather than pay the fines imposed on him? In a word-disgusting.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here